Garden Design Assistant (part-time – freelance position)
Garden Design | SE. London, United Kingdom
About The Role
Design Heights is a well-established Garden Design practise, based in Beckenham. S.E. London/Kent borders. We are involved in all aspects of Garden Design, design concepts, landscape monitoring & development, planting design and execution.
Design Heights is seeking a self-motivated individual to join our team. The role of Garden Design Assistant will involve supporting the Lead Designer and will be integral part of expanding the company’s ever growing design roster.
The role is offered on a part-time freelance basis. Applicants will be responsible for their own tax and national insurance contributions and will be required to show proof that the are registered with HMRC.
This role would suit a trainee garden designer, who is looking for part-time work experience whilst they re-train or someone newly qualified. Their first love is most probably the planting side of garden design. They will probably have had business/office admin. experience in a different field and those transferable skills will enable them to add immediate value to the business, whilst they are trained up on other elements of working within a garden design practise. Responsibilities can be tweaked based on the candidate’s current skill-set and geo-location.
- Produce planting plans, information sheets (using SketchUp Layout) and plant schedules
- Produce mood boards and visuals using PowerPoint and/or SketchUp Layout
- Assist with site surveys, as required
- Collaborate on garden design concepts
- Create 3D models and PDFs of projects in SketchUp and Layout from a survey or DWG
- Drawing up construction details using SketchUp, producing specifications and scope of works documentation for tendering
- Assist with the collation & organisation of plant orders through to coordinating planting sessions.
- Oversee the smooth running of projects in co-ordination with landscape contractors
- Track individual projects and updating once per week on progress, using the CRM and Comms platforms
- Prepare areas ready for planting, order check and placing of plant stock.
- Help in the installation of irrigation systems.
- Place and confirm orders with suppliers and nurseries, checking lead times etc.
- Research and source high quality, good value garden design materials from suppliers
- Proactively manage workload and enhance efficiency within administrative functions
- Ensure Health Safety, CDM regulations and COVID liabilities are being considered and meet.
- Help with any ad hoc jobs
About Your Background
- You will currently be studying or have undertaken a qualification in Garden Design (minimum standard – Diploma)
- Strong communication skills
- Experience of using standard MS Office software
- You will have your own PC or Laptop with MS software and anti-virus protection
- Proven understanding of plants and a desire to learn on the job
- Experience of using CAD, ideally Sketchup
- Experience of social media marketing
- Experience of working in a small business
- An adaptable, flexible self-starter as days are varied
- Detail-oriented, organised, with a pro-active approach – the role requires someone able to chase orders and meet deadlines
- Be able to think quickly and problem-solve
- Exceptional time management and prioritisation practices
The Good Stuff:
- The role is offered at initially 8hrs per week which can be performed over one or two days
- Renumeration £8.91/hour (NMW) – £18, 533 per annum (full time equivalent)
- Flexible & Remote working considered
- Benefits – on the job training, plus field trips to lovely gardens
Apply For Role
If you believe you are a good fit for this role, please get in touch.